Student Resident Card

How to obtain a Residence card

All students from a county outside the European Union, who studies in France for more than 6 months, will require a residence card. 

All students from a county within the European Union, only require a residence card if they wish to work and will earn more than 450€. 

Documents to acquire in your country :

  • Photocopy of your passport showing the following : name, validity, long stay VISA and the entry date to France,
  • Birth certificate translated into French by a certified translator from the French Embassy services or the French Consulate of your country (a Christening Certificate is not valid)
  • 3 recent identity photos (3x4cm, in colour or white and black on a white background),
  • Financial statement (to get a long-term VISA from the French Consulate of your country). 

To renew your residence card you will also require :

  • A photocopy of your expired card,
  • Financial statement with a minimum of 450€ income per month. (scholarship, declaration of funds from parents, the last 3 bank statements, before renewal, from your French bank),
  • A birth certificate is not required

Documents to obtain in France :

  • University attendance certificate,
  • Proof of home address (e.g. bill from EDF),
  • An OMI stamp of 70€, only required at your first request excepting Algerians and EEE,
  • One stamped self-addressed envelope,
  • Completed application form for residence card.

Since June 1st 2009, some students with long stay visas, no longer need a residence card. These include foreigners with long stay visas (from 3 mths to 1 year) mentioned "student" for the whole validity period. For more information click here

A medical visit is compulsory for all foreigners requesting a first residence card. It must be done in France, by doctors from the l'Office de Migrations Internationales (OMI).